Rob on deck during haulout

Rob on deck during haulout
Rob on deck during haulout in 2007

Friday, December 10, 2010

I Came, I Saw, I Cried!!

I finally got back aboard Island Fever.  Flew into Panama City, arriving late Tuesday night.  Rested for a day, then got the bus to Colon.  However, couldn't get to the marina because the roads leading to the canal were all impassable due to heavy rains, so had to spend the night at a hotel in Colon (AKA the enema insertion point of Panama).  Today the roads were passable, and after a $20 taxi ride I arrived in the middle of another downpour. 
I almost wish I hadn't come.
The boat has been severely neglected.  The exterior has streaks of greenish mold, and every surface in the inside is black with mold.  The bunk and seat cusions are unsalvagable due to rot, the stove is unsalvagable due to rust, and that wasn't the worst!  There was water reaching 2 inches above the cabin floor!!  A check of the engine room showed that the engine does not appear damaged by the water, but I will have a mechanic check it out before trying to start it.  I'm sure there will be some electrical problems caused by immersion of some of the wires.
Before you ask if the boat has a leak, it is on the hard, not in the water.  However, there is a leak where the mast rises thru the topdeck, as that is the only place I found water entering the boat as I stood inside the boat with water over the top of my Nikes and watched the steady drip while it poured outside.  Just goes to show how water can accumulate when you get 12 oz per hour for 5 months.
Yes, I'm pumping out the boat.  It will need a few days to dry before I can do much else except start attacking every surface with beach and paper towels, which will be my mission tomorrow and Sunday.  Next week I'll start on replacing the bed and seating cushions, and finding a way to seal the leak. 
Yes, I did take pictures, but I'm too embarassed by the boat's condition to post them.
More once I have a better picture of how things are going.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of you and sending extra energy during the challenging work ahead. Wish I was there to help, but I'm stuck in the snow in Indiana for the duration of your voyage.

    ReplyDelete

Painting the bottom

Painting the bottom
Painting the bottom (2007)